Thursday, September 3, 2009

Spiritual Gifts: An Ongoing Study

It is no secret that among the "Bible" based religions of the world, there are many different theories derived from the Scriptures. This is why we have so many different denominations.

When it comes to Spiritual Gifts I know that people's opinions range from total rejection to complete and wholesome belief. I, currently, am still studying up on the matter and have many unanswered questions.

Matthew 7:21-23. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Ever notice that these people are actually asking Jesus a question?

Question: Have we not.......in your name? i.e., "Didn't' we? Weren't we?"
Answer: I never knew you.

So how do we know if HE knows us?

John 10:23
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

So Christ is teaching us that if we are truly one of His "Sheep" he "knows" us and we follow him.
But those he speaks of in Matthew 7 performed miracles, prophecies, and wonders...and were not his "Sheep" for he didn't "know" them.

This is profound! It points us to a possible conclusion that one can be able to perform mighty and miraculous works and yet the power comes from somewhere other than God. (Beelzebub?)

What about the idea that some have regarding the Cessation of the Spiritual gifts?

What is the apostle Paul trying to teach in 1 Corinthians 13:8-13

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.



Alan Cairns gives an interesting exposition of this verse in this video below. But I'm sure there are hundreds of other expositors out there that would disagree.

So there are a couple of things I've noticed in my studies in the Bible.

One is that over and over and over again there is an emphasis on "Love" or "Charity". Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless. You speak in tongues but have not love, you have nothing!! You prophecy but have not love, your prophecy is useless. (1 Cor 13:1-3)You fast and have not love your fasting is meaningless! (Isaiah 58:6-9)

And the other is that you can be given an super human ability that looks like a Spiritual Gift, smells like a Spiritual Gift, and tastes like a Spiritual Gift; that doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit gave it to you and it doesn't ensure your position in Heaven. Matthew 7:21-23






1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. Dr. Cairns gave a point of view that I've never heard before and requires further investigation. As a brand new believer, I sat under charasmatic teaching and witnessed "miracles" for three years. That was nearly twenty years ago. While I haven't attended a church since then that operated in the spiritual gifts, I have never denied their existence for today. You've given me something to think about closely and to study more carefully from God's Word. Let us know what further discoveries you make, Bryan, on this subject.

    ReplyDelete