Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Salvation: Get a Second Opinion


The other day, a friend came up to me and told me that he heard a pastor of a mega church on the radio bragging that during their Sunday service, 26 people were SAVED! On another occasion I was speaking with a pastor of a Springfield church who claimed that during his last service 6 people were SAVED!

Let me say right up front. I pray to God that they are all really saved. I pray that they were drawn by God himself to the feet of Jesus with repentance in their hearts and that they truly believe. I pray that the Holy Spirit now lives inside them and is causing a dramatic transformation in their lives this very moment. Lord may it be so if it is your will.

However, I am troubled by men who boldly assure people that they are "Saved". What if they are not? What if they did not really believe, but just came forward during invitation while filled with earthly emotion? What if the Holy Spirit didn't come? What if they are still LOST!? It happened to me. I spent most of my adult life living like a heathen, blaspheming, drunk, stoned, living in and loving SIN, hating God and Godly people, but Praise The Lord I was saved! No I wasn't, and by the grace of God I didn't have to find out the "Eternal" way.

No man should tell another he is Saved. PERIOD. God can handle that one on his own.

John 3:5-8
5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

John 1:12-13
12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.


3 comments:

  1. Jesus said, "...by their fruit you will recognize them. Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" (Matthew 7:20-23)

    God, search our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My church does not do alter calls. We tell people that if you believe in the Word of God, love Jesus, and do not live in sin (being unrepentant, but of course we will still sin everyday) then you can trust in your heart that God loves you and you are saved by Him. Not by our works, or by your work, but by the work of Christ alone.

    I think it is rash to tell these people they are "saved" by one day deciding on their own they believe and send them home. I am sure most churches do not do that. The church needs to become involved in their lives and make sure there is a change and give them constant instruction in God's Word.

    Also, I do believe by fruit you can recognize a Christian. However, there are a lot of true Christians that are not out everyday baptizing and preaching to people. I do not like to bring up "works" becuase I don't like people getting confused and thinking "works" save. However, I think a lot of churches will preach "works" not for salvation but to know your saved, so they get more volunteers. When the works really need to come from the peoples hearts or by way of what God has prepared for us ahead of time.

    -Patrick Iver

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a side note: I do not believe in once saved always saved either. I believe Christ comes to us and "saves" us, we were predestined. However, I do believe people can "reject" the Holy Spirit and decide to "live in sin." They know God is real, but because of their selfish desires they ignore Him.

    ReplyDelete